Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore, my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure because You will not abandon me.... You have made known the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.  Psalm 16:8-11


* * *
Bless the Lord, O my soul!
My heart is glad at the thought of you, Lord.
You make my heart glad.

Once again the power of the Word accomplishes its purpose.
You are the Living Word ~ and You gladden my heart.

* * *

This is no small thing if you know me well… and I share this today so you will know that God provides a rescue for the oppressed, the afflicted, and the broken-hearted.

Despair and depression and hopelessness have tried to take my life for as far back as I can remember and as recently as yesterday.

I bless the Lord for giving me life and sustaining my life ~ even when I didn’t want Him to ~ even when I would have preferred to give up ~ when the enemy’s torment and lies have come frighteningly close to convincing me to give in to death.

Like yesterday….

Just yesterday, it all felt too hard and I felt too tired to want to keep going.
Just yesterday, I dragged myself through another lifeless day.
Just yesterday, I felt the despair of living the rest of my life in this torment.
Just yesterday, I felt like blowing my brains out.

* * *

But, today….

Today, my heart is glad in Your presence, Lord.
Today, You make my heart glad as I think of You.
Today, word of Your unfailing love sustains me.
Today, I choose Life... because Love makes me want to live.

* * *

I will be glad and rejoice in Your love, for You [see] my affliction and [know] the anguish of my soul.
Psalm 31:7


Julie Engler Miles
journal entry dated Nov. 25, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment